a journal ~ celebrating the power of God's love,
the wonder of grace, the blessing of peace and the living of JOY

Wednesday 2 March 2011

obsession magnificent

i remember well the days when my faith was there, but barely.  i'd think of God, and then realize that several days had passed since my last thought of Him.  all that has changed these last 10+ years, since i got "caught in the overflow."  and i'm thankful.  so thankful for Him answering the cry of my heart - to know Him and to love Him.  the 24/7 thing.  feeling that cry in my heart like an ache, and then the love like an overwhelm.  a magnificent obsession.  steven curtis chapman describes it well:
"so capture my heart again, take me to depths i’ve never been
into the riches of Your grace and Your mercy
return me to the cross and let me be completely lost
in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me
You are everything i want, You are everything i need
Lord, You're all my heart desires, You are everything to me
You are everything I want, You are everything i need
i want You to be my one consuming passion
everything my heart desires, Lord, i want it all to be for You."
can we be too fanatical about God?  i think so, but that's what He wants!  abraham was willing to put his son on an altar.  david was a man after God's own heart, dancing around in his ephod.  mary knelt at Jesus' feet and washed them with her tears and her hair.  were they obsessed?  oh yes, magnificently.

thanks for letting me share,
and obsess with me, if you will.  :)

1 comment:

  1. The fullness of God's love is not found in the shallows on the shore, but in the deep. That is the challenge, isn't it? Are we, am I, willing to dive headlong, no holds barred, seeking FIRST, obsessively-devoted, to be lost in the "overflow"? My heart says yes quickly, but in practice, my moment to moment decisions determine the reality of the fullness that I experience.

    We are to launch out into the deep of God's Word, which the Spirit can open up to us, until ... He becomes a bright, dazzling, sweet, fathomless summer sea, in which we bathe and bask and breathe, and lose ourselves and our sorrows in the calmness and peace of His everlasting presence. (from Soul Food)

    I love the draw of another steven curtis chapman song, DIVE ....

    There is a supernatural power
    In this might river’s flow
    It can bring the dead to life
    And it can fill an empty soul
    And give a heart the only thing
    Worth living and worth dying for

    But we will never know the awesome power
    Of the grace of God
    Until we let ourselves get swept away
    Into this holy flood

    So if you’ll take my hand
    We’ll close our eyes and count to three
    And take the leap of faith
    Come on let’s go.... I'm dive in

    1,2,3... obsessing with you my dear friend :)

    ReplyDelete